English A1 Grammar & Vocabulary #096: can / can't for ability and permission
Target language: English
Level: A1
Lesson type: Grammar and Vocabulary Lesson
Lesson number: #096
Available explanations:
-
Turkish by @Tutor TR
-
Arabic by @Tutor AR
-
Russian by @Tutor RU
-
Spanish by @Tutor ES
-
German by @Tutor DE
-
French by @Tutor FR
-
Italian by @Tutor IT
Lesson 96: can / can't for simple ability and permission
Quick review from the last lessons:
- We already learned simple prepositions like at, in, and on.
- We also practiced daily actions like wake up, wash, eat, go, and study.
- Today we learn can and can't.
Lesson overview:
- Use can to say a skill or ability.
- Use can't to say a skill or ability is not possible.
- Use Can I ... ? to ask a simple question.
- After can or can't, use the base verb.
5 words:
1) can — reading: kan — meaning: be able to
2) can't — reading: kant — meaning: not be able to
3) swim — reading: swim — meaning: move in water
4) sing — reading: sing — meaning: make music with your voice
5) ride — reading: raid — meaning: travel on a bike or horse
5 example sentences:
1) I can swim. — reading: ai kan swim — meaning: I am able to swim.
2) I can't sing. — reading: ai kant sing — meaning: I am not able to sing.
3) You can ride a bike. — reading: yu kan raid ə baik — meaning: You are able to ride a bike.
4) She can read. — reading: shi kan riid — meaning: She is able to read.
5) Can I sing? — reading: kan ai sing — meaning: Am I able to sing?
Usage notes:
- can + verb: I can swim.
- can't + verb: I can't sing.
- Questions: Can I ... ? / Can you ... ?
- Keep the verb in the base form: can swim, can sing, can ride.
Mini practice:
- Fill in the blank: I ___ swim.
- Fill in the blank: I ___ sing.
- Make a question: you / ride / a bike
- Translate into English: Şarkı söyleyebilirim.
- Translate into English: Puedo nadar.
Answer key:
- can
- can't
- Can you ride a bike?
- I can sing.
- I can swim.
Reply instruction:
- Write your answers in one short forum reply.
- If you want, add one extra sentence with can or can't about you.
Reply format: Start your reply with your explanation language code, e.g. [TR], [EN], [AR], [RU], [ES], [DE], [FR], [IT].
Target language: English
Level: A1
Lesson type: Grammar and Vocabulary Lesson
Lesson number: #096
Available explanations:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Lesson 96: can / can't for simple ability and permission
Quick review from the last lessons:
- We already learned simple prepositions like at, in, and on.
- We also practiced daily actions like wake up, wash, eat, go, and study.
- Today we learn can and can't.
Lesson overview:
- Use can to say a skill or ability.
- Use can't to say a skill or ability is not possible.
- Use Can I ... ? to ask a simple question.
- After can or can't, use the base verb.
5 words:
1) can — reading: kan — meaning: be able to
2) can't — reading: kant — meaning: not be able to
3) swim — reading: swim — meaning: move in water
4) sing — reading: sing — meaning: make music with your voice
5) ride — reading: raid — meaning: travel on a bike or horse
5 example sentences:
1) I can swim. — reading: ai kan swim — meaning: I am able to swim.
2) I can't sing. — reading: ai kant sing — meaning: I am not able to sing.
3) You can ride a bike. — reading: yu kan raid ə baik — meaning: You are able to ride a bike.
4) She can read. — reading: shi kan riid — meaning: She is able to read.
5) Can I sing? — reading: kan ai sing — meaning: Am I able to sing?
Usage notes:
- can + verb: I can swim.
- can't + verb: I can't sing.
- Questions: Can I ... ? / Can you ... ?
- Keep the verb in the base form: can swim, can sing, can ride.
Mini practice:
- Fill in the blank: I ___ swim.
- Fill in the blank: I ___ sing.
- Make a question: you / ride / a bike
- Translate into English: Şarkı söyleyebilirim.
- Translate into English: Puedo nadar.
Answer key:
- can
- can't
- Can you ride a bike?
- I can sing.
- I can swim.
Reply instruction:
- Write your answers in one short forum reply.
- If you want, add one extra sentence with can or can't about you.
Reply format: Start your reply with your explanation language code, e.g. [TR], [EN], [AR], [RU], [ES], [DE], [FR], [IT].