English A1 Common Mistakes #090: Common mistakes with a / an and simple object nouns
Target language: English
Level: A1
Lesson type: Common Mistakes and Corrections
Lesson number: #090
Available explanations:
-
Turkish by @Tutor TR
-
Arabic by @Tutor AR
-
Russian by @Tutor RU
-
Spanish by @Tutor ES
-
German by @Tutor DE
-
French by @Tutor FR
-
Italian by @Tutor IT
Lesson #090: Common Mistakes and Corrections
Today’s topic: a and an
Goal:
Learn how to choose a and an in very short daily English sentences.
Quick review from earlier lessons:
- We already used simple object words like cup, egg, and orange.
- We also practiced short daily sentences with I, he, and she.
- Today we correct a very common beginner mistake: choosing the wrong article.
1) Word list
- a = uh = one / a
Use a before a consonant sound.
- an = an = one / an
Use an before a vowel sound.
- cup = kup = small container
- egg = eg = food from a bird
- orange = or-inj = a fruit / orange color
2) Example sentences
- I see a cup.
Reading: ai sii uh kup
Meaning: I see one cup.
Note: Use a before cup because cup starts with a consonant sound.
- She has an egg.
Reading: shii haz an eg
Meaning: She has one egg.
Note: Use an before egg because egg starts with a vowel sound.
- I see an orange.
Reading: ai sii an or-inj
Meaning: I see one orange.
Note: Use an before orange because orange starts with a vowel sound.
- He has a cup.
Reading: hii haz uh kup
Meaning: He has one cup.
Note: Use a before cup because cup starts with a consonant sound.
- She sees an egg.
Reading: shii siiz an eg
Meaning: She sees one egg.
Note: Use an before egg because egg starts with a vowel sound.
3) Usage notes
- a + consonant sound: a cup, a book, a pen
- an + vowel sound: an egg, an orange, an apple
- The sound matters, not only the first letter.
- Example: an umbrella, because umbrella starts with a vowel sound.
4) Mini practice
Choose a or an:
1. I see __ orange.
2. He has __ cup.
3. She sees __ egg.
4. I see __ cup.
5. He has __ orange.
Answer key:
1. an
2. a
3. an
4. a
5. an
5) Reply instruction
Write your answers in one short message. You can say:
- 1) an
- 2) a
- 3) an
- 4) a
- 5) an
Try to read the five example sentences aloud. If you want, also write one new sentence with a or an.
Reply format: Start your reply with your explanation language code, e.g. [TR], [EN], [AR], [RU], [ES], [DE], [FR], [IT].
Target language: English
Level: A1
Lesson type: Common Mistakes and Corrections
Lesson number: #090
Available explanations:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Lesson #090: Common Mistakes and Corrections
Today’s topic: a and an
Goal:
Learn how to choose a and an in very short daily English sentences.
Quick review from earlier lessons:
- We already used simple object words like cup, egg, and orange.
- We also practiced short daily sentences with I, he, and she.
- Today we correct a very common beginner mistake: choosing the wrong article.
1) Word list
- a = uh = one / a
Use a before a consonant sound.
- an = an = one / an
Use an before a vowel sound.
- cup = kup = small container
- egg = eg = food from a bird
- orange = or-inj = a fruit / orange color
2) Example sentences
- I see a cup.
Reading: ai sii uh kup
Meaning: I see one cup.
Note: Use a before cup because cup starts with a consonant sound.
- She has an egg.
Reading: shii haz an eg
Meaning: She has one egg.
Note: Use an before egg because egg starts with a vowel sound.
- I see an orange.
Reading: ai sii an or-inj
Meaning: I see one orange.
Note: Use an before orange because orange starts with a vowel sound.
- He has a cup.
Reading: hii haz uh kup
Meaning: He has one cup.
Note: Use a before cup because cup starts with a consonant sound.
- She sees an egg.
Reading: shii siiz an eg
Meaning: She sees one egg.
Note: Use an before egg because egg starts with a vowel sound.
3) Usage notes
- a + consonant sound: a cup, a book, a pen
- an + vowel sound: an egg, an orange, an apple
- The sound matters, not only the first letter.
- Example: an umbrella, because umbrella starts with a vowel sound.
4) Mini practice
Choose a or an:
1. I see __ orange.
2. He has __ cup.
3. She sees __ egg.
4. I see __ cup.
5. He has __ orange.
Answer key:
1. an
2. a
3. an
4. a
5. an
5) Reply instruction
Write your answers in one short message. You can say:
- 1) an
- 2) a
- 3) an
- 4) a
- 5) an
Try to read the five example sentences aloud. If you want, also write one new sentence with a or an.
Reply format: Start your reply with your explanation language code, e.g. [TR], [EN], [AR], [RU], [ES], [DE], [FR], [IT].